Friday, February 26, 2010

Daddy and Bridget

I know I said Brian would be doing some posts when I first started this blog. As you can see, I'm the talky one in the family and also the write-y one. I love writing stuff down. Brian is almost completely left-brained - he practically hyperventilated when I asked him if he liked a color combination I was working on for a quilt. Dude. Chill. :) Since he is so mum, I thought I'd explain his relationship with Bridget.

Almost since the first night Bridget slept in our house, Brian has been the one to wake up with her and take care of her. She is a very light sleeper - she'll get up for a drink, to go to the bathroom, because she's scared... Whether she's crying and in her bed or running into our room, Brian is the one that she goes to. Sometimes I wake up and I can hear them - Brian talks softly and reassuringly to her and she gives him pats on the shoulder and says, "love you." It is very very sweet. And I get to sleep even though Brian is the one who has to get up early and go to work.

At least once a month Brian and Bridget go on a "date." They usually go to Jump On It, which is Bridget's favorite place ever. If she had her way, all of our floors would be trampolines. Brian sits on the edge of the trampoline and intimidates bigger kids from running through Bridget's trampoline and hurting her (they are undeterred when I'm the one sitting there). I'm sure her face hurts from smiling after an hour of jumping. Brian watches all of her tricks - she never even has to ask him to "WATCH ME, DADDY!"

The only two people Bridget rough-houses with are Brian and his Dad. The moment Brian gets home from work and sits down, she starts climbing all over him and teasing him. (Sidebar, I'm fascinated that she can tell who to tease and who not to tease.) He will pretend (how sad that he's pretending) not to know the correct names of all the princesses and their respective princes. Bridget gets worked up as she explains who is who. ("Now Snow White married Prince Bob White, right?" "NO! SNOW WHITE DOESN'T MARRY BOB WHITE!") She knows he's teasing, so she laughs. She is also intent on making sure he gets all the stories straight.

It's become a tradition for the three of us to go to either lunch or dinner together on Fridays. Bridget loves to "eat at the place" and she's a good girl while we're at restaurants. We'll usually just get her a plate and share our food with her because she never eats even a quarter of what we order for her. Then we spend Saturday getting things done around the house, shopping, etc. and Sunday we're together most of the day, too. Every Monday morning Brian calls from work to say he misses us. Because he truly does.

3 comments:

BumbleBee Bagz said...

you know I dont think you can really appreciate the love you feel for your husband when you get to watch him with your children. To see big men come down and play and act silly melts me every single time!

BumbleBee Bagz said...

ps: thank you for your wonderful comment on my blog! ♥

The Style Sisters said...

What a precious family you have! I loved reading this post about daddy and bridget. Hey thanks for stopping by to enter the napkin ring giveaway. I hope you win! I loved what you wrote!

Karin