Bridget has one million cousins. Okay - not a million, but some of them are really loud. There is something very poignant to me about watching her with my sisters' kids. Maybe it's because I knew my sisters when they were kids and we used to plan and talk about how many children we'd have and what their names would be. (I always named my fictional kids Monica and Jessica. It was the 80s.) It's fun to see the next generation playing together. My youngest sister Makenzie lives close enough for us to get together often and she has two adorable (seriously) kids, Gabriel and Claire. Nothing is more fun than seeing Gabriel and Bridget play together ... except maybe listening to them laugh hysterically. Gabriel doesn't really talk a lot, so what they laugh about is anybody's guess.
Here's Gabriel noticing the Supergirl logo on Bridget's shirt (he's a big fan of The Incredibles):
Bridget likes to "take care" of Baby Claire. Secretly Bridget likes to take care of all babies. That means binky patrol, hugs, kisses - the essentials. Bridget was only too happy to pose for a picture with Claire, even though Claire was stuffing her face. (For real - she was eating her fist with the cracker in it. Very delicate, no?)
(Notice in the background that Kenzie and I have twinsie bags. Sisters!)
Lately when Bridget is asked to smile for pictures she does this eyes-half-closed thing with a benevolent smile. Too many princess movies?
This is a photo from 1982, taken soon after Makenzie was born. My Mom is holding Makenzie and going clockwise from Mom's left is Allyn, Jen, Me, Melissa, and Katy. Six girls! It was Crazytown.
Even more Crazytown was that orange carpet. Also that my Mom had two boys after Makenzie. Here we are at Rob's wedding in 2008:
Back row: Makenzie, Rob, Aaron, and Jen. Front row: Melissa, Allyn, Katy, and Me (Nicole). Maybe I'm feeling extra nostalgic right now, but seeing this picture makes me cry a little bit. My siblings are all such good people - I love being around them. (Did you know that the percentage of redheads in the entire world is something like 1%? I have FOUR siblings with red hair. You probably counted five, but I've never considered Allyn a redhead.)
This post turned into a bit of a ramble, I know. I'll just leave it here. :)






5 comments:
Such a large and beautiful family, Nicole! What that many siblings, it's no wonder Bridget has a million cousins!! I scrolled through a few of your posts and was really touched by what I saw and read... particularly what you shared about the relationship between Bridget and Brian. Thanks for this glimpse into your family! Thank you also for dropping by DesignTies and commenting on my dining room post - very much appreciated!
Victoria
What a great post! I love all the pictures of the children. I want to thank you for your thoughtful comments on my post at Texas Tea Party. I have an only son and my husband and I are only children. Our son graduated last May from college and has a wonderful job with an ABC television station. We are as proud of him as you are of your sweet child.
Lovely photos of your family! I can relate to the photo of your Mom with all the little ones as we have seven children.I enjoyed those years with a lively household but life is still good!
Enjoy your weekend,
Carolyn
Oh, those freckles are sooo cute! I always wanted a girl named Claire, but God knew different and gave me three boys who love their momma! My oldest has always said he will have a girl and name her Claire. I figure that will up to his wife!;)
Sherry
What a great old photo of all the ladies! Very cute. Nostalgia is fun :) I wouldn't have counted Allyn as a redhead either. Especially not next to the others who have blatantly red hair!
Post a Comment