My Mom can also sew. She makes clothes, curtains, pillows, etc. She doesn't quilt, but I still wanted to know how to make heirloom quilts because my Great Grandma Rhoda did. She did everything by hand and would have the quilt frames up in her living room for weeks while she worked on them. I've decided to take a modern approach because I am a chicken and I want to make a lot of quilts (one for every niece and nephew when they get married, for starters). I finished my first major quilt for Brian's parents' Christmas present. I was done early enough that I made a couple of table toppers with scraps. (I have a lot of scraps. Fabric collectors refer to that as their "stash." I make and sell car seat canopies, so I have a stash that is starting to get out of control.) I pieced these things together myself, but I send them to a long-arm quilter for the quilting portion. (My sewing machine can handle really small stuff - like oven mitts or place mats. Ha! Oven mitts - I should make some of those.)
Anyway! Heirloom quilting is something I learned how to do in 2009. It has helped me take my mind off waiting for another baby and given me something worthy and meditative to do during "down" times. We've informed Bridget that she will need to have a lot of kids because Brian and I are going to be AWESOME at the grandparenting stuff. :) Here are some of my Christmas projects:
A table runner for my sister, Allyn.
A table "topper" for my sister-in-law, Diana. (There is a drop of my blood on this one. Quilting is a lot more vicious than you would think.)
Another table "topper" (with a cake pedestal, which I didn't make) for my Mom. She's a piano teacher, too. Perfect for her recitals. :)
Last, but not least, a queen-size Double Wedding Ring Quilt for Brian's parents.
1 comment:
Your double wedding ring quilt is gorgeous!
Post a Comment