My family lived far away from us for the first 9 years we were married, so we've spent most of our Thanksgivings with Brian's family. We were married the day after Thanksgiving in 1996, so it's a nostalgic holiday for us in many ways. Now that we've had a chance to spend Thanksgiving with my family (my parents live in Idaho now and we spent Thanksgiving with them in California and Utah over the last 4 or 5 years) we've discovered that our wedding was one of their most memorable Thanksgivings as well. They like to remind us that they ate Thanksgiving dinner on the plane and had to drive all the way to Manti in a snow storm. Thank goodness they also like to eat pie all day instead of just for dessert. :)My first few Thanksgivings with Brian's family were different - in good ways and not-so-good ways. Football is almost a religion with his family and they kept the TV on during dinner with the volume up high enough for everyone to hear. This year my Dad and brothers were watching West Side Story just before and right after dinner. Hopefully you don't have to know me very well to know which of those situations I find more disturbing. Brian's family used to have store-bought rolls and pies. My Mom had approximately 2 pies per person, all homemade, when we went to their house in California in 2003. We eat early at Brian's parents' house so that we can eat all day and maybe take a nap. Somehow we didn't get to the crackers and cheese ball at my parents' house this year until 10:00 at night. (The top photo is Bridget sitting in her place waiting to eat. She went around the house telling everyone, "IT'S TIME TO EAT!" for about half an hour before we actually ate.)
My Thanksgiving "assignment" is pecan pie and for the last three years I've also made the sweet potato souffle. I've never liked sweet potatoes, but my sister, Katy, gave me the recipe for the souffle and now I love it. What a shocking surprise that all I had to do was add sugar and butter and milk and nuts... I guess not so shocking. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment